Vive la France!

Vive la France!

Welcome to my blog -- follow us as we travel around France.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Languedoc - Day 5; Janice arrives; Sete

Not much to report today.  It was a little cloudy, but warm enough. 

Janice (my cousin who lives in the D.C. area) was to arrive at the airport in Montpellier at 12:50, so we left around 11:00 to allow enough time to take some wrong turns and get lost.  But, we drove right to the airport without a problem.  We got there an hour early, so had a cup of coffee, and waited.  The airport is pretty small, so we figured there wouldn't be much chance in missing her.  When people started coming through from her flight, we went over to wait for her, but she didn't come out.  Three armed soldiers went into the baggage area, and we wondered what was going on.  I peeked in through the baggage claim door, and saw that they were looking at a piece of luggage that was there by itself.  Still no Janice, so Mom suggested I go outside to see if she was there, and she was -- she must have come out before we walked over to the baggage claim area.  Janice's flight got into Paris at 5:30 this morning, having left D.C. at 4:45 yesterday afternoon, so I knew she'd be tired - no big plans for today.

Sete is a neat town situated between the Mediterranean and the Bassin du Thau, and is the beginning of the Canal du Midi.  It is famous for seafood.  We'd been there a couple of times before, so thought it would be a good place to go for lunch after picking Janice up.  We didn't get there until after 2:00, too late for lunch, but we were able to be served at L'Amiral from a limited menu.  Mom & Janice had the Moules Frites (mussels & fries).  I had mussels farcies (mussels stuffed with some sort of sausage or meat, and served in the shell over rice and a tomato sauce) -- very good.  After lunch, we walked around for awhile and checked out the shops.

Driving back home from Sete, we got behind a "convoi extraordinaire" that had traffic slowed to a crawl for miles.  They were hauling some sort of equipment -- how they expected to get it through the narrow streets of those towns, I don't know.  We managed to get around them when there was a passing lane.  Once home, we didn't feel like a big dinner after our late lunch, so put out a plate of pate, cheese, tapenade, pickles, and olives for dinner, with some baguette left over from breakfast.  It was good, and we'll cook the chicken tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment